How a Global Perspective Helps Founders Solve Local Problems
When Manohar Lal Tandon formed Tandon Magnetics, the manufacturing arm of Tandon Computers, in 1979, he was determined to improve the lives of many in India. After studying and working in the United States for several years, he returned to India and used the knowledge, expertise and experience he cultivated in the U.S. to make the local market better.
Combining a global perspective with a deep understanding of local needs is just as powerful for modern-day startups in India as it was for Manohar at dawn of the personal computing age in the 1970s. Founders who are open to new ideas, solutions and challenging the status quo open their companies up to new opportunities — exactly what Manohar was able to do with Tandon Magnetics, and later, Tandon Group.
Changing Business As Usual in 1970s India
As Manohar grew one of the most influential manufacturing companies in India at the time, the company helped solve local issues related to the economy, workforce and leadership at the time including:
- Encouraging the creation of “tax free zones” throughout India, which increased production and foreign investment that ultimately has driven India into the top 10 of the world’s biggest economies
- Becoming the largest employer of women in the tech sector from 1984 to 2000
- Adopting IBM’s “open door” leadership policy at Tandon Magnetics, which was uncommon for Indian companies in the 1970s
Partnering With Today’s Problem-Solving Startups
Today, India has the third largest startup ecosystem behind Silicon Valley and the United Kingdom. As a major participant in India’s startup environment, Tandon Group continues to help solve local problems as the company provides financial and managerial assistance to modern-day startups in India working to improve the country’s healthcare, transportation, education and finance challenges. Successful startups include:
- Helping healthcare providers preserve reimbursements from patient care and maximize collections from unpaid claims with technology (Infinx)
- Saving people time by providing on-demand transportation and lifestyle services (GOJEK)
- Changing the way education is delivered and consumed in India (Genius)
- Revolutionizing the mobile economy in India by making it easier to pay for everyday items and tasks (FreeCharge)
If you’re a startup founder looking for resources to help you succeed, Tandon Group has provided numerous startups with business advice and funding support for more than 30 years. Contact us today and learn more about how we can support you.